Friday, January 19, 2007

First time in hospital

For the inspiration behind this blog click here.

What about those childhood memories for those of us unfortunate to have had a hospital stay at young age? Hopefully you will have only been in a short time and that it was nothing serious, or perhaps you have been lucky enough not to have spent any time in hospital.

“I recall the children’s ward and the colours being bright. I rememeber the pain in my throat and being made to eat cornflakes after my first night in the ward. Yes, I had my tonsils and adenoids out. The matron was cruel and made me eat cornflakes.”

Does this sound familiar to you? Does it bring back some old emotions? These are the memories that tend to shape the impression of a hospital forever and, whilst we know as adults, that it was in fact just that, a childhood memory, it’s a damn hard one to change when you are confronted with a hospital visit or indeed a further hospital stay, as an adult.

Sinus

“I remember I was getting a sinus operation done when I was young. I still have sinus troubles now, but not nearly as bad as they might be if I hadn’t had this operation and the tubes flushed.

When I came round I had all this packing material up my nose. The agony in my face was terrible. I was all nose! I could even see it when I looked down. The packing was white and stuffed up me, at the end they tied this bow – supposed to be funny?! I don’t think so!

When it all was taken out, I really did think that my brains were being pulled out from my head. The sensation was something I never want to feel again. It still sends a shiver down my spine just talking about it.”

No comments: