Thursday, February 08, 2007

Another first memory of hospital

For the inspiration behind this blog click here.

Sorry its been a while since I posted a memory. Time has been flying by and I just got caught up. So I hope you are all well and thanks for stopping by again.

Here's another first memory of hospital. It was told to me by a slightly drunken colleague who still has a passion for disliking her doctor of over 30 years ago!

The bubble

“Well I was a wee tiny person and I had a chest infection. I couldn’t breathe properly. Mum panicked, (my dad was still at work) and phoned the doctor. A Dr Foster. I remember because he was the bad person that put me in hospital! I hated him for it, hated him with a passion. I was two and a half.

Apparently an ambulance came out to the house. Gran had been called as my Dad couldn’t get home quick enough. My mum was hysterical – I don’t remember that but my gran told me later. We got the ambulance to hospital which I have vague memories of in terms of noise and flashing lights.

What I do remember well is being put into an oxygen tent – can’t fail to remember that – a big bubble thing all around me. I was jagged in the bottom because I was that hysterical about being put in the bubble. That calmed me down a bit I suppose.

Time seemed to take forever to go by and I would just lie there as there wasn’t much else to do really. I guess that’s why I may have gotten a bit panicky at times.

Dad was good though, he calmed me down. He sat with me for a couple of days but he was obviously still working. So he’d sit with me and wait till I fell asleep, and then go off to work. I woke up and saw he wasn’t there and panicked. I ripped the oxygen tent and got out, got dragged back by four nurses and injected with god knows what - all because my father wasn’t there when I woke up.

I got discharged later that day – they just wanted rid of me cause I caused so much rumpus in the hospital.”

No comments: